Debit and Credit Card Fraud
Card fraud can occur through a variety of channels, including online scams, data breaches, and card or mail theft. You can use these tips to defend yourself and have peace of mind knowing Community First is monitoring your account for threats and suspicious activity.
Guard Your Card Information
- Have a record of your card and account numbers along with expiration dates in a safe place. Include the phone number for each card company so you can report fraud and minimize damage quickly.
- Only carry the cards you need, not all of them. The less cards you have on you, there will be less for a potential thief to take and fewer cards you’ll have to freeze.
- Shred documents containing personal information before tossing them.
- Never give your account number over the phone unless you initiated the call to a company you know to be safe.
- Do not write down your PIN number. Chose a 4 digit number that is easy for you to remember but hard for someone else to guess.
Use Your Card Wisely
- Never sign a receipt leaving lines, such as the total, blank. The information on a blank receipt may be changed after you’ve already signed it. Drawing a line through any blank spaces helps.
- Watch your card during a transaction and make sure you get it back.
- Look for irregularities with an ATM before using it. Read more about our ATM Skimming Safety Tips.
- Be careful when using your cards online.
Activate real-time text and voice credit card fraud alerts
With our Credit Card Fraud Alerts, we can help monitor your account activity and quickly identify potentially fraudulent transactions. Get instantly alerted via SMS text, which may be followed by digital voice calls, when possible fraudulent activity is detected on your account. You will also be able to validate charges from your phone and continue to use your card if you approve the activity.
Not enrolled in Online Banking? Register Now
Follow the easy instructions below to enroll today.
- Log into Online Banking
- Click on the “Services” tab in the left navigation
- Choose “Credit Card Services” from the menu
- Select your credit card from the drop down
- Click on the "Enroll" in "Fraud Alerts" link